I love making meals in the slow cooker because it allows dishes to have all the flavorful benefits that come with being cooked under the patient labor of time, while allowing me to do other things. I will often throw ingredients into my slow cooker before bed and allow a soup to cook overnight. Few things are as gratifying as waking up to a healthy meal that took 10 minutes to prepare.
This Slow Cooker Split Pea soup is hearty and robust and is perfect for the shortened days of winter as it will help you save those precious daylight hours.
I usually add garlic to most of my soups for an extra immune boost, especially this time of year when our minds tend to be stressed and our bodies are so susceptible to getting sick. My Golden Milk Turmeric Latte is also great recipe for fighting colds and congestions.
Chop and dice, toss everything in the slow cooker, and take some time for yourself!
Patrick Sporleder Photography
- 1 pound dried green split peas, rinsed
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and medium dice
- 3 medium celery stalks, medium dice
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, medium dice
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tsp thyme
- 4 cups (1 quart) low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Cook for 8 hours on low