This one pot gluten-free Kale and Chicken Pesto Soup has incredible flavors, healthy ingredients and is easy to make! The protein and fiber packed ingredients will keep you satisfied and nourished during the winter season. Skip to the recipe.
The holiday hustle and the winter season is upon us. I don’t know about you, but I’m pretty behind on getting ready for the holidays. To be completely transparent, I haven’t even started my holiday shopping, and neither have I sent out a single holiday card – and I don’t know if I will this year.
If you’re in the same boat, know that where you are is perfectly OK! We can’t do it all every single year. We can’t be perfect at everything and the sooner we accept this, the more peace we will have. This year I chose to prioritize school, my business and my clients and that means I had to let other things go.
Nevertheless, the next few days and into the new year are going to be busy. My favorite easy meal prep solution during the winter months is making a big patch of soup. I often double the recipe for soups when I make them and store half in the freezer to have it on hand when things get extra busy.
One Pot Kale Chicken Pesto Soup
Here we have the Kale Chicken Pesto Soup! It’s simple to make, healthy, and comforting. Throw vegetables, chicken and beans into a big pot, add bone-broth, spices and pesto and then simmer until done.
This soup is packed with protein and fiber containing ingredients such as chicken, kale and cannelloni beans so it will keep you full and satisfied without weighing you down like many soups recipes that have a cream base.
Dietary fiber improves digestion, helps you maintain a healthy weight, regulates blood sugar levels and can lower your risk of diabetes, heart disease and some forms of cancer. Cannelloni beans like those found in this soup, contain a high amount of fiber (approximately 19 grams per one cup). Additionally, adequate (not excessive) intake of protein helps build, repair and maintain your muscles, promotes satiety and burns caloric energy.
Filippo Berio Pesto
Since this soup contains simple ingredients, the robust flavor comes from the pesto. You can certainly make your own pesto and add it to this soup— especially if you want to keep the ingredients dairy-free— but I like to be realistic during a busy time of year. If I can save myself a step or two, I’m all about it. I’ve used this Filippo Berio Pesto before in recipe, which you can find here. The main ingredients include basil, Grana Padano cheese, cashews, Pecorino Romano cheese, pine nuts and Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
What are your favorite winter soup recipes? Let me know below in the comments. And if you make this soup, give it a rating below. Need additional soup inspiration? Click here or here for additional recipes.
Kale Chicken Pesto Soup
Kale Chicken Pesto Soup
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 40
- Total Time: 60
This gluten free Kale and Chicken Pesto Soup has incredible flavors, healthy ingredients and is easy to make!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 carrot, chopped
- 32 ounces chicken bone broth
- 1/4 cup Filippo Berio pesto (or homemade pesto)
- 1 dry bay leaf
- 1 pound cooked shredded chicken breasts
- 1 (15-ounce) can cannelloni beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups loosely packed tuscan kale, chopped
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Lemon juice and zest (to taste)
To Cook Chicken
- Place the chicken breasts in the bottom of a large pot, then season them generously with salt and pepper
- Cover the chicken with 1 inch of water
- Place the pot on the stove and bring the water to a gentle boil
- Once the liquid is boiling, reduce the heat and let simmer for 10 to 15 minutes until chicken is cooked all the way through
- Shred before adding to the soup
To Make Soup
- In a large soup pot warm the olive oil on a medium heat
- Once warm, add the chopped onion and sauté for about 3 minutes
- Add the celery and carrot and sauté another 2-3 minutes or until the onions and soft and translucent
- Add bone broth and pesto and mix well
- Add the bay leaf
- Cover and bring the soup to a boil and then reduce the temperature until it turns into a simmer. Add the chicken and beans, return cover and let simmer for 10 minutes
- In the last couple minutes of cooking stir in the chopped kale
- Remove from heat.
- Top individual bowls with lemon juice, zest, and season with salt
- Be sure to cook the chicken all the way through before adding it to the soup.
- Serving Size: 4
Patrick Sporleader Photography.
Thank You Filippo Berio for sponsoring this post and thank you for supporting the brands that make this blog possible. As always, opinions are my own.